Friday, November 26, 2010

Things to be thankful for...

I bet Mom is thankful I have been more diligent with my blogging:) It seems like there is so much to blog about this time of year. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with our Ohio family and I ate way too much food...which I am totally ok with. Tomorrow, Ryan and I are making our first "official" Thanksgiving dinner. The menu includes turkey (all 14 pounds of it), cornbread dressing (just like Mom makes it), and a very interesting bread pudding recipe from The Pioneer Woman. I will update everyone on how this feast we will be eating for the next 2 weeks turns out!

Now for a recipe...it has been way too long since I've put one up. Tonight we made Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo. We recently discovered the most amazing restaurant near us...Mama DiSalvo's. Yep. It's legit Italian. Mama DiSalvo makes everything fresh everyday...including the pasta. The first time we ever ate there, the sauces blew our minds. So tonight, I decided to attempt to recreate her alfredo sauce. I borrowed some from PW's recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo, and added a few extras of my own. Here is the finished product. Looks don't do it justice.


Ingredients:
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 lb shrimp (or any meat you prefer)
1 lb fettuccine pasta
Lemon juice
1 stick butter
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Cook your pasta according to package directions. We used fresh basil pasta for our dish. Season shrimp with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Saute in oil or butter until done. In a seperate pan, saute mushrooms in oil or butter. Once mushrooms are tender, add butter and cream. Stir until butter is melted and mixture is heated. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. The lemon juice gives it an amazing flavor! Add your shrimp to your butter and cream mixture.

In a large serving bowl, spread half of the parmesan cheese. Pour the butter and cream mixture over the cheese and allow it to sit while you drain the pasta...don't stir it yet. Reserve some of your pasta water in case it is needed to thin out the sauce. Pour the piping hot pasta over the cheese and sauce mixture and gently toss. Add the remaining cup of parmesan cheese and mix in. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. I am oh so thankful for this dish!

For our bread, I sliced a loaf of french bread in half and covered it in softenend butter and garlic salt. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Then turn oven to broil and allow butter to get dark. This bread is fantastic...and another PW steal. Although she uses far more butter than I do:)

It is hard to believe Thanksgiving has come and gone. Well...almost gone if you live in the McCormick house. We have so many things we are thankful for this year. We consider ourselves so lucky to have the friends and family that we do. Saying we are thankful for McBaby would be an understatement:) And I know my husband is thankful that it's Christmas decoration time!!!! Bah. But I am:) Here is a preview of our Christmas decorations. We haven't decorated our tree yet, but it is already so beautiful!

Here is the tree skirt I made this year. And I will never make another one again. If I mention it, please stop me. I love how it turned out, but my fingers are paying for it. I saw a tree skirt similar to this in a magazine for $200. Can you believe it?! I don't have a people skirt that cost $200. Why on earth would anyone spend $200 on a skirt for a tree? Hmmmm....Once we finish our decorations, I will post more pictures:)


Merry Thanksgiving from the McCormicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment