Monday, February 6, 2012

Culinary Jackpot

I so hit the culinary jackpot tonight. So, when I was done savoring every last bite of my delicious meal, I threw my plate in the sink, grabbed the computer, and started blogging about it.

Of course this came from Pinterest and this is actually a two recipe post. The first recipe is for Quinoa Mac n' Cheese. I have been trying to embrace this super grain known as Quinoa....and I finally found a recipe that I love! The original recipe came from this blog. I altered it a smidge.

{Quinoa Mac n' Cheese}

{via}

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup broccoli
1/4 cup green onions
1 1/2 cup dry quinoa
2 tsp garlic
3 cups water
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
bread crumbs
unsalted butter
seasoning salt
garlic powder

Here we go! Heat oil in a large skillet. Add broccoli and green onions. Saute for a few minutes, then cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. (I used frozen broccoli, it was all I had) Add quinoa and garlic. Cook over med heat for about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until most of the fluid is absorbed. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Whisk 2 eggs and milk together. Slowly add quinoa mixture and cheese into egg and milk mixture. Pour into a greased 9x13 dish. Top with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Dot with unsalted butter and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Need some meat with your quinoa? Try this tasty recipe! It calls for chicken thighs, but you could use any meat. We used turkey thighs...they were on sale:) This dish came from this blog.

{Honey Spiced Glazed Turkey}

{via}

1 pkg chicken (or turkey) thighs or breasts
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Mix all spices together. Spread out meat and cover in spices. Put under broiler for 5-7 minutes on each side. (May need to be adjusted based on meat and thickness of meat) Mix honey and apple cider vinegar. Pour over meat and broil another 5-7 minutes. It will get smoky! Enjoy this amazing, savory, spicy, sweet, tender dish.







No comments:

Post a Comment