Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chicken Broccoli Couscous

As promised, a super easy and delicious recipe! I'll give the original recipe, then my alterations:)

extra virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken
salt and pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 10 oz box of couscous
1 onion, finely chopped
1 head broccoli, broken into small pieces
parsley to taste
sliced almonds

1. If you are using raw chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook in hot oil in skillet over medium heat. Once cooled, shred chicken.
2. In a seperate saucepan, bring 2 cups chicken broth, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to boil. Add couscous, cover, removed from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
3. In the same skillet the chicken was cooked in, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onions and cook until tender. Add broccoli and 1 cup chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken parsley, couscous and salt and pepper. Stir in almonds before serving.

My alterations...
1. We used crock pot chicken in our dish. I cooked a chicken in the crock pot yesterday and my wonderful husband de-boned the meat. I heated it up in skillet with oil and added crushed red pepper. I used the same skillet for the onions and broccoli. Any seasoning would be fun on the chicken...lemon pepper, basil, tony's, etc.
2. We usually add more broccoli...which means more chicken broth:)
3. It's super easy to substitute different flavors of couscous. Tonight we used roasted garlic herb couscous.
4. Extra veggies can always be added in. We've added mushrooms before. Other veggies to add....zucchini, squash, bell pepper, green onions, tomatoes, etc. If you are feeling super crazy...olives!

I love this recipe because it is so easy to alter! You can pretty much add anything in your fridge to couscous. I'm sure you could substitute different meat too...pork, sausage, beef, steak.

Took the sewing machine out of the box yesterday and started looking through the manual. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to experiment with the thread spool...bobbin action:) Lindsey....where is your sewing machine? If we are going to tackle this challenge together, our sewing machines should be out in the open:) Mine is on a desk in the guest room!

Later:)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha...It's under our desk! Just being honest! I've really only made Anniston a pillowcase dress and have appliqued a few things. And, I don't even know if I'm doing it right! It's moving on top of the desk tonight...thanks for holding me accountable :).

    This recipe sounds delish! I've never made couscous before, but you make it sound so easy. I will have to try it for myself!

    Have I told you I'm glad we can keep up with each other this way? I love peeping into your fun life.

    ReplyDelete