Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Today was cold and wet and snowy....a perfect night for warm chicken pot pie! This recipe came from my Pioneer Woman cookbook. Enjoy!


3-4 stalks celery
3-4 carrots
1 large onion
1/4 cup butter
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 cup whipping cream (I used fat free half and half)
salt, pepper, and thyme to taste
1 pie crust

Ready? Preheat oven to 400. Chop all of your veggies. PW calls for frozen peas also...which make me gag. We added extra celery and carrots instead. Melt butter in a large skillet and add veggies. Saute until tender-ish.They will get more tender while baking. Add in chicken. Slowly add flour and stir for a few minutes. Add in chicken broth and bouillon. You can also add some white wine...if you wanna. Add cream and cook on low for several minutes or until mixture thickens. Pour sauce in a deep pie dish or small casserole dish. PW makes her own pie crust from scratch. I purchased one from the grocery store. Place the pie crust over the chicken mixture and cut small slits in it. Bake for 30-40 mintues or until crust is done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating. Enjoy your comfort food!

This past week was crazy for us. We had a lovely ice storm Tuesday that resulted in a loss of power for us. We stuck it out in our house Tuesday night, but had to resort to a hotel for Wednesday night. Luckily, our power came back on Thursday afternoon. Friday, my co-workers had a wonderful party for McBaby...and me. Some of my favorite people, our residents, were in attendance. I got some fantastic baby name suggestions, including John Wayne and Lucille Ball. Someone likes tv.... I also got some great parenting advice. I was told, by the tv fan, that the baby might like Ryan better, but I shouldn't be offended. Interesting. She also pointed out a gentleman with a pot belly larger than my pregnant belly and said I shouldn't feel bad about being so big. What do you even say to that? Thank you?

Almost to 37 weeks! Dr said everything is looking perfect so far. Little baby is head down and ready to go, in a few weeks. I can't believe how close we are! Well, yes I can. I feel every second of this pregnancy. Still exciting though:)

Tomorrow I am making a new recipe from a friend...Shrimp Potato Soup. I have a few additions that might be fun...I will let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Why can't it be o.k. to post pictures of residents with their funny stories. Last week, during our morning prayer, TV Fan prayed that I would turn the TV back on. AMEN!

    ReplyDelete