Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pulled Pork!

Yes, I am aware I appear to be over-blogging today. In my defense, I had started several of my posts and just not finished yet.

I saw The Pioneer Woman making this on her show yesterday morning...just around the time I was making our menu for the week. I knew we had to make it for two reasons. 1. It looked sooo good and sooo easy. 2. It was made in a cast iron dutch oven, which I happened to get for Christmas and am obsessed with. I changed her recipe a smidge...here it is!

pork shoulder (I picked out the smallest, which was 7lbs...)
2 onions, quartered
2 cans coke
1 large can diced green chilies
4 tbsp brown sugar

Place your onions in the bottom of the dutch oven. Salt and pepper your pork, and place it on top of the onions. Top with green chilies. The Pioneer Woman used Adobo chilies, but I had these in my pantry already. Pour coke over top everything and add brown sugar. Place the lid on and bake in the oven at 300 for 6 hours. I flipped it twice during the 6 hours. Our house smelled like heaven all day. Once it is done, take it out of the pot and shred with forks.

I wasn't intending to get such a large piece of pork...but it was the smallest option available. The good thing is, it gives us lots of meat for leftovers. Later this week I am making enchilada casserole. Tonight, I threw the chicken for that dish in the freezer. Looks like pork enchiladas for us!

We made potato salad to enjoy with our shredded pork tonight. Make this on your next weekend at home! You won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. we had pulled pork tonight! our favorite way could also be the easiest way possible--you literally take a pork tenderloin and cut it into six pieces and place it at the bottom of a crock pot...and then you pour a bottle of root beer on top and leave it for 5-6 hours. Once it's shredded, we add our favorite BBQ sauce. Amazing--and incredibly easy! so happy to have found your blog :) xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete