Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Reasons why pulled pork is awesome...

Remember the pulled pork I blogged about? Well it is awesome.

Why?

Because it is like the pork that keeps on giving.

We ate it one night with potato salad. The next night, we ate it with a side of roasted cabbage which I will share the recipe for because it is also amazing. Tonight, I substituted pork for chicken in an enchilada lasagna recipe. Amazing again. I was able to put the two packs of chicken breasts I bought last weekend in the freezer! Someone's grocery bill is going to be cheaper this weekend. (Ahem..simplify)

 Anyway, I love that this meat has served so many purposes in our menu, that we can eat it different ways, that it was so easy to cook, and that it made my house smell so good while cooking.

Now...roasted cabbage. Remember the roasted broccoli I blogged about? Same concept, but with cabbage. So simple and soooooo tasty. It is cabbage at its finest. Found this on pinterest, compliments of Martha Stewart.

Roasted Cabbage

1 head cabbage (obviously)
oil
seasonings

Preheat oven to 400. Brush oil over a rimmed baking sheet. Slice cabbage into 1 inch rounds. I only sliced what I wanted to cook for that meal. Place the cabbage rounds on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and desired seasonings. I used my fantastic seasoned cooking oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Should be dark golden around edges. Yum!


Pork Enchilada Lasagna...from Mogwai Soup

1 lb pork
(could use any meat if your fridge isn't overflowing with pork like mine)
corn tortillas
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of celery
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 can green chilies
4-5 cups shredded cheese

If you are using raw meat, cook in oil and seasonings and chop. Mix soups, sour cream, and chilies in bowl. I added extra chilies because I had them. And green chilies are delicious. Fill a baking dish with water to dip corn tortillas in. Now time to layer! In a casserole dish,spread a third of the cream mixture. Dip corn tortilla in water and layer on top of cream mixture. Spread meat on and top with cheese. Repeat for 2 more layers. Top with lots and lots of cheese. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. I finished mine off for a few minutes under the broiler for a crispy top. It tasted so good and made tons!



No comments:

Post a Comment