Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Confetti Chicken Pasta!!

As soon as I saw this number on Pinterest, I knew I needed it in my belly. Last night, Ry asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner. My answer...Confetti Chicken Pasta!

He said "really, you want to cook on your birthday?"
 "Heck yes I do."
So, here you go! Confetti Chicken Pasta! Here is the original recipe link, and my version. I made a few alterations based on personal preference and what I had in the kitchen. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but most are probably kitchen staples. And the bulk of this recipe is veggies.


{Confetti Chicken Pasta}

1 lb pasta (I used whole wheat rotini)
olive oil
2-3 chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion
1/2 red onion
1 bell pepper
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
broccoli (I bought 3 stalks and used them all)
grape tomatoes

{Sauce}
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 container feta cheese

Ok, ready? Heat some olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Throw your chicken in, season with salt and pepper, and cook until chicken is done and golden. While chicken is cooking, chop your veggies. Once chicken is done, put aside in a large bowl and start on your veggies. Add a little more olive oil and toss in your onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes, then add your broccoli. I covered my skillet at this point for about 5 minutes so that the broccoli would become tender. Add in tomatoes last and cook for a few more minutes. While your veggies are cooking is a great time to start your pasta!
When your veggies are done and your pasta is cooking, start on the sauce. I tossed the veggies in with the chicken and used the same skillet for the sauce. It saves on dishes and the sauce ends up with some amazing flavor from the chicken and veggies cooking. Make a roux with your butter and flour. I always end up adding a little more butter. BTW...add your flour in slowly or you will end up with clumps. Next add your milk. The original recipe called for half and half, but whole milk is all we had. And I've been trying really hard to not let half and half or whipping cream back into my house. Stir for a few minutes, then dump in your feta. I love buying the sundried tomato and basil feta. The flavor is amazing. Stir until the cheese is melty and the mixture thickens. Stir the pasta into your sauce so that it is well coated, then add the veggies.


Once we had fixed our own bowls, I added Tony's to kick up the flavor a notch;)


Hayes loved this dish as well...although he had to dip all of his broccoli in applesauce before he would eat it...whatever works, right?


The original recipe says this makes 4 servings. Ryan said we could feed an army with this bowl of pasta we have left. I like those kind of recipes, so that works for me. I like this recipe because I think I could probably throw whatever I have in my fridge and pantry it and it will still taste good. It can be a little time consuming with chopping veggies, but I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment