Monday, September 16, 2013

To Paleo or not...

It's no secret that I love to cook. And I love to eat. I really just love food in general.

After Hayes was born, I started caring about what I was eating and more specifically, what Hayes was eating. Nothing makes you want to get healthy more than having a tiny person you are responsible for.

After making some positive changes to our diet, I noticed a weight loss and energy increase without adding exercise to my day. Who doesn't love losing weight, right?

So began a new adventure, making "eating healthy" our new normal. I started making these changes right before we found out I was pregnant with Keller. We've learned a lot since then...what our bodies tolerate, dishes and flavor combos we like, what works for our family. This adventure is ever changing and I am definitely learning something new all the time.

I recently came across a Paleo cookbook, Against All Grain. I've blogged several recipes from this book and have loved everything I've made. This cookbook has prompted my research into the Paleo lifestyle.

What I love about Paleo:
Eliminating things that have been processed with all the chemicals that we know aren't good for us.

What makes me nervous:
Eliminating an entire food group. There are no grains on Paleo and very limited dairy.

Overall I think that it's up to me to decide what works best for my family and I think it's an adapted version of Paleo. I love that our plates are filled with lean meats and veggies at every meal. I'm not sure I want to cut out grains yet, we love brown rice and quinoa. I am definitely ok with cutting out the chemicals and learning how to make more kitchen staples myself to cut back on exposure to these chemicals. I see this as a new cooking challenge and that makes me super excited.

I will be posting many of my paleo recipes on here. It may not be for everyone, but hopefully everyone finds at least one recipe that inspires them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I randomly found your blog when I was searching for the chicken-artichoke recipe from the AAG book (because I'm too lazy to get up and look IN the book haha). Anyhow, I'm glad I did. 1. I LOVE Against All Grain and have fallen so in love with her cook book. I'm glad to see you have, too! and 2. Kudos on making healthy choices for your family.

    I came to paleo in a very similar way. I just wanted to start eating more real foods. And I made the choice to start limiting my grains in order to eat more veggies--no other reason. Eventually, I ended up eating almost none... just my favorites and what I felt fit my life best.

    Anyhow, this is super long and rambly. I just want to encourage you to eat in a way that is healthy and makes you happy. So, if that's paleo influenced with some dairy and some quinoa, then rock on! As long as you're eating lots of whole, good foods you're on the right track. amirite?

    ReplyDelete