Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bean Soup

This recipe is so easy and quick, it's kinda unbelievable. It's from Better Homes and Gardens:)

3 cups tortilla chips
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken, cut into chunks
2 tsp oil
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
1 4.5 oz can diced green chilis
14 oz chicken broth
cilantro to taste

1. Preheat broiler. Crush 2 cups of the chips.
2. If you are using raw chicken, cook in hot oil in a dutch oven until done. We used crock pot chicken, so I heated it in hot oil. Add beans, 1 cup cheese, chilis, chicken broth, 1/2 cup water, crushed chips, and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you don't, the chips start to stick to the bottom.
3. While the soup simmers, place remaining tortilla chips on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle remaining cheese on chips. Broil 6 inches from heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
4. Serve soup with chips!

Since we used pre-cooked chicken, it cut down on time. However, I started this meal at 5:30, and it was done by 5:42! I also added an extra can of beans and chicken broth. The soup still tasted great and now we have leftovers:)

I am working on my sea life canvas collection again. I really need to take pictures of them...maybe next week. So far, I have done a big blue whale and a super happy purple octopus. Up next...a starfish and a blowfish. I have also decided to re-create an amazing picture I saw in a Pottery Barn Kids catalog. I could order it, but it's a smooth $250. I seem to be super crafty these days...

Later:)

1 comment:

  1. That soup sounds delish! I love ANYTHING with cilantro!

    And, I can't wait until we live near each other someday because I love to paint too! Oh, how much fun it will be to cook and create together! :) Can't wait to see your Pottery Barn creation...I know it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete