Monday, March 26, 2012

Tabouli!

I tried Tabouli at Earth Fare a few weeks ago and loved how fresh it was. I was very intrigued by this dish, so I decided to make some myself. The label from Earth Fare listed the ingredients and I researched a few from Pinterest as well. Then, I created my own recipe. It probably isn't really technically Tabouli, but it is delicious and healthy.

This dish calls for bulgar, which is a whole grain that can be used in a variety of dishes. When cooked, it resembles rice in appearance and texture. It is low in fat and is a great source of dietary fiber and protein. It is a good substitution for pasta! I found a ground bulgur made by Bob's Red Mill at Kroger.

Katie's Tabouli


1 tomato, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
fresh basil and parsley, chopped
1 cup dry bulgar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2-3 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Start by cooking your bulgar. Combine 1 cup bulgar with 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. While this is cooking, chop your veggies and herbs and throw them in a big bowl. Mix your lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and s & p in a small cup. When the bulgar is done, stir it in with the veggies. Add in the lemon juice mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to mix. It gets tastier with time!

Traditional tabouli has mint instead of basil and maybe a few other alterations. I prefer fresh basil, which is why I added into mine.

This dish is so light and fresh and healthy and super easy to make and perfect for summer! Hayes loved eating it too!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You're cracking me up!! Remember when I was chowing down on Quinoa Salad at work & you refused to try it?! Lol...Now you're eating the same type stuff ;) i told you it was good (and good for you) :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was far too pregnant and picky to try a mysterious new grain with such an odd texture:)

    ReplyDelete