Monday, March 26, 2012

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Oh. my. word. y'all. You must try this soon.

I saw a variation of this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to make it immediately. Here is the original recipe. I omitted a few ingredients in an attempt to keep it healthy.

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes


2 sweet potatoes
1 cup green onions
1 large handful spinach
1 heaping Tbsp sour cream
minced garlic
Mozzarella cheese

Bake sweet potatoes at 350 until they are fork tender, about 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Chop green onions and saute in heated olive oil with garlic. Add in spinach and stir for a few minutes until spinach is wilted. Slice potatoes into half. Scoop out your pulp and place it in a large bowl. Add in sour cream, green onions, and spinach. Brush empty potato shells with olive oil and place in the oven for about 5 minutes or until slightly crispy. Fill in shells with sweet potato mixture and top with cheese. Place back in oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

I have never been a huge fan of sweet potatoes, until now. These were amazing. I used a dairy free, organic mozzarella cheese just to try it out. It was pretty tasty. Hayes LOVED these. He ate them before he ate his grapes, which is kinda a big deal for him.

We ate these with grilled chicken marinated in a mixture of olive oil, minced garlic, chopped basil, and lemon pepper.

Baking the sweet potatoes was kinda long. I think I will look into cooking them in the crock pot during the day to eliminate that hour of cook time.

I promise these won't disappoint you!

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember what brand the cheese was? We have not been able to find a good substitute & got tired of buying pricey ones we ended up not liking :( I assume you bought it at Earth Fare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is Daiya mozz style shreds. It was the only option at Kroger...

    ReplyDelete