Sunday, August 26, 2012

Garden Style Lasagna

I found this recipe from Rachel over at Bliss Events by Rachel. I actually like it more than the Paleasagna that I blogged about here. It is a great way to slam lots of veggies into one meal. Thanks for the great new dish, Rachel! We will be making this often!

{Garden Style Lasagna}

olive oil and cooking spray
2 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 squash
1 zucchini
1-2 heads broccoli
2 carrots
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup parmesan
salt, pepper, and nutmeg
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
lasagna noodles

Preheat your oven to 375. Chop all of the veggies up. Start with sauteing your onions. Add in some garlic and enjoy the incredible smell. Move the onions to a bowl and throw in your squash and zucchini. Make sure you add in extra olive oil with each round of veggies. Cook until the veggies are tender, and add them to the onions. Last, add in your broccoli and carrots. I used mini carrots and ended up with about 1 cup chopped carrots. Cook until tender and add to the veggie bowl.

 If you love using as few dishes as possible, like me, then add your flour and milk to the same skillet you cooked the veggies in. Or you can use a new one:) Whisk the milk and flour until well combined. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened. Since I used an already heated skillet, I had to really stay on top of stirring my mixture right away. It was thick and ready to go in no time. Remove the skillet from the heat and add in your parmesan cheese, spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I just did a dash of each seasoning. I prefer to add more once it's done if I think more is needed.

In a separate bowl, combine the cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. Even though it only calls for 1 1/2 cups, the container had 2 cups and I used it all. I knew the cottage cheese would go to waste otherwise. Ok, we are ready to assemble!

Grease a 9x13 dish and start with a thin layer of the spinach mixture. Layer lasagna noodles on top. *I love to use no-boil noodles. They are easy to work with and taste wonderful every time.* Add half of the cottage cheese mixture, half of the veggie mixture, and 1 cup of the spinach mixture. Top with lasagna noodles and repeat the layers. Finish your lasagna off with a layer of noodles and the rest of the spinach mixture. I topped the whole thing off with shredded cheese. Cover your dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20 more minutes. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment